Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of things we are
frequently asked. If you can't find the answer you need here please send an
- Q What steps have you taken to handle the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A We installed a powerful air extract system in the Main Hall that
ensures plenty of fresh air can always be available. This makes the Hall
one of the safest venues in the country.
- Q What is the best way to contact the Hall management committee ?
- A Please use the general enquiry form on the home page of the web
- Q What do you charge ?
- A Click here to view our hire charges.
- Q Do you have crockery & cutlery ?
- A As a service to our hall users we try to ensure 60 place settings
are available in the kitchen - there may be more, but no promises. If you need more than this, or want fully
matching place settings for a dinner, you can hire our brand new white
tableware (up to 150 place settings) for £7.50 per day for 30 place settings
and cutlery for £7.50 per day for 30 place settings. In
addition cups and saucers are available at £3.00 per day for 30 place settings.
Breakages are charged at £2.50 per item.
- Q What about glasses ?
- A No, you will have to hire these yourself. You might like to try the
Tesco free loan service.
- Q I would like to have a bar for my function.
- A We have a Premises Licence that will allow you to sell alcohol at your
event, subject to normal licensing regulations. It is essential to discuss
your requirements with our Designated Premises Supervisor at the time of
booking and complete the
- Q Do you have a specific area for bar facilities?
- A Yes, the Snug (adjoining the kitchen) is designed to be used as a bar.
The Small Hall also has a small bar area. The extent of the Premises Licence
can be clearly seen on the
Hall Plan and alcohol must not be sold outside that area.
- Q What speed is your WiFi?
- A We now benefit from an ultrafast fibre broadband service from
TrueSpeed which runs at 200Mbs. We remind you that by
logging into our system you are agreeing to abide by our
WiFi Terms and Conditions of Usage
with which you should make yourself familiar before using the system.
- Q Do you control WiFi access to websites?
- A Yes, we have a system that automatically blocks access to
- Q What are the components of your PA system?
- A We have a Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro 16-channel mixing desk driving two Mackie SRM450 powered speakers,
and providing a feed to the Hearing Loop system. We can provide microphones and stand.
Mike Rippon for further details. It is subject to an additional hire
- Q Do you have stage lighting?
- A Yes, there is comprehensive stage lighting and a Zero 88 control desk, but it is vital that you discuss
your requirements with
Rippon at the time of booking if you want to make use of it. For the
simple use of a couple of spotlights we charge £10 and anything more is
subject to an additional hire charge.
Q We would like more subdued lighting for our event, is this possible?
- A The wall lights on the sides of the hall produce a more 'cosy'
effect. Each of them can be individually controlled both in colour and
brightness to create the effect you
Q Do you have a Green Room for stage productions?
- A The Small Hall provides a convenient Green Room with access directly to the stage wings.
Q I understand you have a system of raked seating that provides an excellent view of the stage for the members of an audience at the back of the hall. Can we use this system for our event?
- A Yes, we have a very successful system of raked seating that has now been used for a number of theatrical events. This is available for your event at a small hire charge.
Please note that only trained personnel are allowed to extend the seating system, following the
operating instructions that can be found
here, and you
must complete the application form
requesting the use of the seating when you make your booking.
Q We would like to use the stage for seating, how can we make it safe?
- A There are safety rails that can be fitted to the front of the stage.
- Q Do you allow bouncy castles?
- A The Main Hall has a solid oak floor and we have established that the
heavy weights and electric fans used with bouncy castles can easily damage
the floor. Sometimes the underside is not clean and sand, earth, and small
stones can also cause damage. It is your responsibility to ensure that
suitable floor protection is provided and you must therefore use an
approved supplier of bouncy castles.
www.totalbounce.co.uk in Burnham-on-Sea is one such supplier. Please also remember that you are
responsible for the safety of the children using the castle and must
provide evidence to the Village Hall management committee that appropriate
insurance is in place. See clause 12 in Terms & Conditions of Hire
- Q Do you have an Access Statement?
- A Yes, it is available for viewing
- Q Where can I find your Health and Safety Policy?
- A It is available for viewing
- Q Where can I find your General Risk Assessment?
- A It is available for viewing
- Q Where can I find your Fire Risk Assessment?
- A It is available for viewing
- Q Do you have a GDPR policy?
- A Our Data Protection Policy is available for viewing
- Q What steps do you take to keep the Hall free of pests?
- A Environmental Services Ltd. in Biddisham provide a routine inspection and control regime.
- Q Are you a registered charity?
- A Yes, our charity registration number is
- Q What parking is available?
- A The adjoining hall car park can accommodate 12 cars. It includes a space reserved for disabled drivers. Overflow parking is available in the Wedmore free car park which is clearly signposted from Cheddar Road.
- Q What is the latest time we can leave the hall?
- A On Fridays and Saturdays all music must be finished by 23:30 & the
hall vacated by midnight. The times are different on other days.
- Q What improvements have you made to the hall, and how have they been funded?
- A Over the past 10 years we have spent over £120,000 on major
projects and improvements. This is in addition to our regular running costs.
This has only been made possible by the generosity of our sponsors who can
be found listed
- Q I wear a hearing aid, do you have a loop system?
- A Yes, the hall has an Induction Hearing Loop system which is fed from the public address system -
stage microphones are installed but we recommend that Hall users discuss
with us their exact requirements. We will do our best to help.